Thursday, June 7, 2018

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb

Dear Team,

We have just come back from mid-term break and are ready to help meet the needs of our students and staff to end the school year strong!  The month of May was full of ups and downs.  As John and I looked back on the month we decided it came in like a lion, and went out like a lamb.

The beginning of May was cold and wet!  John records the high/low temperature each day and the total rainfall.  In the first few weeks of May we had over 9 inches of rain (average is 6) and we have had over 30 inches of rain this year (average for a year is 37).  We didn't see the sun for what felt like most of May and our high temps showed it.   Since John is in his classroom most of the day teaching or preparing for math class, I am responsible for keeping the house warm and for entertaining our busy four year old girls.  My fire making skills are improving!  At first I could go through a whole box of matches and still not have the fire started.  In my defense the matches are tiny!  Now I can get the fire going with just a few matches and have learned how to keep the fire going throughout the day.  Good skill to have since the fireplace is our dryer for our laundry on these humid, cold days!
Three days a week I have help with the laundry and with the twins.  Momma Mary is a local Kenyan who comes to help us.  Her first name is Emily, but with Kenyan culture it is proper to be called Momma plus the name of your first born.  So you can call me Momma Ruth. 😃
Momma Mary helps me to rotate the wet clean clothes trying to dry in front of the fire.  She also makes yummy chai for Gracie, REALLY SWEET hot chocolate for Ruthie (or that is how Ruthie says it) and delicious bread!  She takes a chai and bread break at 10 am and 3 pm each day.  She makes it for herself, our girls, and our outside worker, Joel.  I often will make my own tea since I'm allergic to milk. Chai is warm milk with tea and LOTS of sugar (this is why Gracie loves it so).
See the pics below!

To help with the "winter blues" the high school principal declared May 23rd "Warm Winter Wednesday".  The students were encouraged to dress in winter gear and bring a warm drink to class.  Many students wore scarfs, mittens, boots, and hats.  One of John's geometry students from cold Canada wore snowflake earrings and a snowflake ring!  To help keep the students warm on this Warm Winter Wednesday, I provided hot water, tea bags, milk, and sugar to John's classes.  It was rainy most of the day, so with my umbrella in one hand and a container of boiling water in the other hand, I would walk down to John's classroom after each class and refill the carafes of warm water. His geometry students were reviewing for a test that day, so it worked out perfectly that they could get up and refill their cups whenever they wanted to.   The students appreciated the tea and many stopped me to thank me.  What a fun and easy way to reach out to the students!  While at the store last week, John and I bought small cups so we can do this again for his next review day!

The Titchie (elementary) Musical was performed on May 13.  I had been helping to direct a group of 5th and 6th graders since second term.  The students did an outstanding job!  My favorite part of the experience was praying with the students (see picture below).  Before the performance, the entire cast and crew, along with the three staff members and student director, met behind stage and prayed.  We opened it up for any student to pray has they felt prompted and I closed.  I had to keep my composure!  The students' prayers were simple, yet sincere.  Many prayed that God be the one to receive the praise and glory for the performance.  Oh, to have faith like that of a child!

The day of the performance was also my first Mother's Day without my mom.  To be honest, the week leading up to Mother's Day was harder than the actual day.  On Mother's Day, after the performance, my family took me to lunch at one of our favorite places near Nairobi.  The sun was shining and we were able to enjoy our lunch as a family outside.  There were other children that played duck, duck, goose with our girls and to keep things funny, one young boy came over several times and put his finger in John's ketchup!  We could see where is family was sitting.....he had his own ketchup but just really wanted John's!

John and I had prayed for a family and waited a long time to be parents (we both had dreamed of being parents long before we met and were married in 2013).  On this first Mother's Day with my dear Mother in Heaven, I focused on being thankful that I was a mother and tried to be with my girls in the moment.  I am one lucky Mommy!!

As the month went on, the sun started to shine again and the last week of May brought the anticipation of mid-term break.  We spent the break doing fun things as a family!  We visited the Giraffe Center (click on the words to learn more about the giraffe center), went swimming at a hotel in Naivasha, and ate at Amani ya Juu, Cafe Ubuntu, Curry On, and Java House.  I have included pictures and more details below.

At the start of June, we have several prayer requests:
*Please pray for the heath of our students and staff.  Several students returned from mid-term with colds.  I specifically could use prayers for my medicine to help fight off a bacterial infection. I may have eaten or drank something over break that has made me ill.  I am getting better!!
*Please pray for the students to stay focused on their school work and to finish the year strong!
*Please pray for the staff coming next year.  There are some dorm parents who still need to be fully supported and there is a need for a few more teachers.

Please let us know how we can be praying for you.

In the love of the Savior we serve,
Momma Ruth for the Myricks
Gracie and Momma Mary enjoying Chai
Momma Mary
The girls are helping Momma Mary make naan.


Praying with the Good News Cruise cast and crew before the performance.

The Titchie Musical

Mother's Day at Brackenhurst

Enjoying the start of mid-term and May going out like a lamb.

Amani ya Juu in Nairobi.  The girls loved the pizza and playground.  John and I loved the relaxing atmosphere.  I was excited to have a delicious glass of iced tea, but it may have been the ice that caused my illness. 

The Giraffe Center in Nairobi.  The girls discovered that if they worked together, one could feed the giraffe while the other one petted the timid and soft animal.

This giraffe was so tall we had to feed him from the deck.  You can see from the look on the girls faces that they loved meeting the giraffes.

John loved the giraffes so much he tried to kiss one.  The girls said, "YUCK"


No comments:

Post a Comment